Saturday, August 7, 2010

small flowers in a small vase Aug. 7, 2010.

still life


water colours

drawing


I decided to be very brave, and use that little vase . It is a 'funny' shape, so I knew it would be a challenge.  I am learning that less is more.. and I think it worked not too badly.. at least the shading etc.  I am now looking for some sunsets and sunrises and some beautiful skies to paint!  Something at the other end of  'detailed'  work.

To really paint using water colours, you are not supposed to do so much drawing first. You are supposed to put in a few guiding lines, to find your place on the page, and then you are supposed to paint!  I have been drawing first, because the paintings had a lot of  detail.   I did add  some flowers and leaves etc. that were not in the still life, (and those I did not draw first). I will get there.  Jackie Hinkson would be frowning 'all now', if he saw that detailed drawing, before the painting.

 So now, I am on to larger things- like the sky.  We will see how that goes.  The sky was a dull grey yesterday, without even one of the lovely clouds that are usually there!  But I am running out of flowers, so hope the sunshine continues and we get our beautiful skies back again.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful picture...the vase flowers and the table.. good luck with trying watercolors with less drawing
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete