Thursday, August 26, 2010

the art of poetry 'One Day' ( Santa Cruz, Trinidad, 1976 )


  One Day

I sank to the bottom of the ocean one day
and decided not to come up
and there I watched
the fishes swim
and felt the salt green life

It's peaceful here
and oh so cool
and no one notices me
I can sit and watch
or laugh or sleep
and just do
what I please

I don't think I'll go back again
it's far too nice down here
but if you want to visit me
it's here, in the sea
I'll be.


  I have no painting for today, so thought I would share a poem I wrote in 1976.  I do not write poetry often, as you can see from the date! In fact I don't usually think in poetic language, although I recognize it and like it when I see it. So, the poems are very few and far between, but when they come, they come as one quick thought, and complete.

   Having recently started to snorkel, I now have a much deeper appreciation of that world 'at the bottom of the ocean'.. but now I call it 'sea'.

No comments:

Post a Comment