Sunday, July 18, 2010

I love to draw.

I am the one in the white outfit!






My childhood home! Cold, cold, cold! But so beautiful!
Alberta, Canada.








Today I begin a blog, of my exploration of drawing and painting .
I started this journey as a young child. I drew pictures of cartoons, pictures from books, and pictures created in my imagination. I asked for a John Naggy, "Learn to Draw" kit, for Christmas. And, that Christmas I got exactly what I asked for! I was overjoyed!
I opened it up, and couldn't believe the pencils, and magical equipment inside this kit! And there was even a little booklet with drawing tips and exercises. I was on my way, feeling like a true professional.

Years later I was able to take drawing lessons and painting classes, from a variety of people. I had opened a door, and there was no return. I bought books on the subject, and took classes at the local library. Later, I was lucky enough to study under some known and successful artists - Lisa Henry Chu Foon, and Jackie Hinkson.
I felt so privileged to be given the gift of their time. They were both well known artists then, ( 1970's) but they had the generosity of spirit to use some of their time to gently and with kindness, guide their awkward students into self-expression and "seeing". I felt so self-conscious, and I will always be thankful to them for the gift from their hearts, that put me at ease.




Lisa Henry Chu Foon
at an exhibition of her paintings
Trinidad.




Jackie Hinkson  - painter, artist



My greatest fear was that as much as I might want to draw, perhaps I didn't have any ability. A simple matter of reality facing me. But, through their teaching, I learned to appreciate that we all can draw and paint and express ourselves this way. The eventual outcomes may vary, but the act of expression is a gift we all possess. And it can be so joyful for all!

Of course a few skills go a long way, in helping one to achieve what you set out to!
( All drawings and paintings, unless otherwise stated, were done by 'moi'.)

3 comments:

  1. im looking forward to seeing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be the Grandma Moses of Tobago yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Now I just have to paint or draw a new one! Lots of fun archiving though.

    ReplyDelete